Friday, October 10, 2008

I Like Living


So I've been doing some calculations on the Large Hadron Collider and I'm pretty appalled at the guys who turned it on.

Apparently there's a million to one chance that a black hole will form and all life on earth will end.

So, really, there's basically no chance of the machine being harmful, right?

Wrong!

Let's do some math. Since there are 7 billion people on Earth, probability says that when the engineers turned on the LHC, they did it expecting to kill 700 people. (7 billion times 1/million)

700 people.

I don't know about you guys, but if someone had told me that my science project would kill 700 people on average, then I might think twice before greedily accepting the funding for my death machine.

2 comments:

  1. There's probably an equal probability that the world would suddenly be showered by meteors, a massive solar flare's created, or

    another black hole is formed within 100 miles of Earth!

    So basically it's a nonissue... everyone's already labeled as dead probably by probability.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well by that logic, mass murder is also a-okay.

    ReplyDelete